- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
First Encounter Beach
First Encounter Beach Review
A great spot for watching sunsets over Cape Cod Bay, First Encounter Beach is rich in history. Near the parking lot, a bronze marker commemorates the first encounter between local Native Americans and passengers from the Mayflower, led by Captain Myles Standish, who explored the entire area for five weeks in 1620 before moving on to Plymouth. The remains of a navy target ship retired after 25 years of battering now rest on a sandbar about 1 mi out; it can only be spotted at low tide.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
A friend plans to pick me up by car then drive to Maine after I arrive at Boston Logan Airport. Read more
· News & Features
Fodor's editors are always traveling, and we love to share our favorite places and top finds.... Read more
The Nantucket Wine Festival returns May 16–20, 2012 with over 200 wineries from around the country... Read more
From mid-April through Thanksgiving there is a full schedule of mostly free ranger-guided activities.... Read more