- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Falmouth Museums on the Green
Falmouth Museums on the Green Review
This cluster of museums represents life in colonial Cape Cod. The 1790 Julia Wood House retains wonderful architectural details—a widow's walk, wide-plank floors, leaded-glass windows, and a colonial kitchen with a huge hearth. Antique embroideries, baby shoes and clothes, toys and dolls, portraits, furniture, and the trappings of an authentically equipped doctor's office, all from the house's onetime owner, fill the premises. Out back, a barn displays antique farm implements, a 19th-century horse-drawn sleigh, and other interesting items. Next door, the smaller Conant House, a 1730-60 half Cape (an asymmetrical 1½-story building), holds changing exhibitions including military memorabilia, whaling items, scrimshaw, sailors' valentines, and a genealogical- and historical-research library. One collection includes books, portraits, and other items relating to Katharine Lee Bates, the native daughter who wrote "America the Beautiful."
Guides give tours of the museums at 11, and the adjacent formal garden with a gazebo and flagstone paths is a great place to relax afterward. Free demonstrations of colonial skills are offered on Friday in July and August. You might get a chance to dip a candle, churn butter, weave a basket, or learn some sea chanteys.
- Address: Village Green, 55 Palmer Ave., Falmouth Center, Falmouth, MA, 02540 | Map It
- Phone: 508/548-4857
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Mid-May--mid-Oct., Tues.--Fri. 10--4, Sat. 10--1; mid-Oct.--mid-May, Tues. and Thurs. 10--4, Sat. 10--1
- Website: www.falmouthhistoricalsociety.org
- Location: Falmouth and Woods Hole
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
Fodor's editors are always traveling, and we love to share our favorite places and top finds. ... Read more
The Nantucket Wine Festival returns May 16–20, 2012 with over 200 wineries from around the country... Read more
From mid-April through Thanksgiving there is a full schedule of mostly free ranger-guided activities.... Read more