Martha's Vineyard Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Walking the beaches: On the Vineyard's south shore, the 18 mi stretching eastward from the Aquinnah Cliffs are said to be among the longest white-sand beaches from Georgia to Maine. The protected beaches on the Nantucket and Vineyard sounds are perfect for families.
Reveling in 19th-century architecture: The Vineyard has an extraordinary amount of beautifully preserved antique homes. In Oak Bluffs, the Campground Cottages are works of art and whimsy. Edgartown's grand captain's homes reflect the sensibilities of the 19th-century whaling era.
Experiencing the Aquinnah Cliffs: Atop the cliffs, nature reveals itself at its most dramatic. You'll be stunned by sunsets, hear the waves crashing on the rocks below; feel the mist of an oncoming fog, and take in the ever-present dance of the wind.
Communing with nature: The island's nature reserves and conservation areas are crisscrossed by well-marked trails through varied terrains. At the trailheads of most you'll find small parking areas and bulletin boards with maps and directions. The Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Wasque Reservation, and Mytoi are three good places to start.
Hooking a big one: Some of the island's most zealous fishing is done by amateurs—the striped bass and bluefish derby in fall is serious business. Several outfits operate deep-sea fishing trips if you want to catch your own.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com