- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Visiting historic homes: Architecture buffs will have a field day poking about the more than 800 pre-1840 structures that compose the core of Nantucket Town, which has been designated, in its entirety, a National Landmark Historic District.
Relaxing on bountiful beaches: You'd be hard-pressed to find a more accessible, less crowded expanse of sand anywhere on the eastern seaboard. The bay waves couldn't be gentler at Children's Beach, while the ocean side is wild enough for surfing on Cisco Beach.
Biking the island: The best way to tour Nantucket is by bicycle. Some 30 mi of gently rolling bike paths crisscross colorful marshes and lead to all the best beaches. Bring your own bike, or rent right off the boat.
Sailing serenely: If your own yacht happens to be in dry dock, don't hesitate to sign on for a harbor tour with a congenial skipper. You'll find plenty of willing and able guides at Straight Wharf and other docks around the island.
Sampling superb cuisine: You'd swear the chefs of Nantucket were all part of a cabal dedicated to elevating the art of locavore gastronomy. Most summer enclaves are lucky to have a couple of fine restaurants; Nantucket has more than a score.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off The Westin Copley Place
- $158 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $158 Hotwire.com