- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nantucket is a boomerang-shaped island 26 mi southeast of Hyannis on Cape Cod, or 107 mi southeast of Boston. Its nearest neighbor to the west is the somewhat larger island of Martha's Vineyard; eastward, the nearest landfall would be the Azores off Portugal. The island has only one town, which also goes by the name of Nantucket. The only other community of note is tiny Siasconset, a cluster of shingled seaside manses and lovingly restored fishing shacks 8 mi west of town. A 3-mi main road directly south of town leads to Surfside Beach, among the island's most popular. Nantucket's small but busy airport is located east of Surfside.
Nantucket Town. As the ferry terminal—from Hyannis and, seasonally, Martha's Vineyard—Nantucket Town is the hub of all activity and the starting point for most visits. At the height of summer, the narrow cobblestone streets are in a constant state of near-gridlock. Town itself is easily walkable, and bikes are available for exploring.
Siasconset and Wauwinet. An allee of green lawns leads to the exclusive summer community of Siasconset (or 'Sconset, as locals say). Tucked away on either side of the village center are warrens of tiny, rose-covered cottages, some of them centuries old. About 5 mi northwest is the even tinier community of Wauwinet, with the country's second-oldest yacht club.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off The Westin Copley Place
- $158 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $158 Hotwire.com