Side Trips from Boston Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thar She Blows
Ships depart regularly for whale-watching excursions from April or May through October, from coastal towns all along the bay. Humpbacks, finbacks, and minkes feed locally in season, so you're sure to see a few—and on a good day you may see dozens. Bring warm clothing, as the ocean breezes can be brisk; rubber-soled shoes are also a good idea.
Boston Harbor Cruises. The high-speed catamarans of Boston Harbor Cruises glide to the whaling banks in half the time of some other cruises, allowing nearly as much whale time in only a three-hour tour. Tours are operated from April to November; call for schedule and reservations. 1 Long Wharf, next to aquarium, Downtown, New Bedford, MA, 02110. 617/227-4321 or 877/733-9425. www.bostonharborcruises.com.
Cape Ann Whale Watch. Cape Ann Whale Watch has run whale-watch tours since 1979. Rose's Wharf, 415 Main St., Gloucester, MA, 01930. 800/877-5110. www.seethewhales.com.
Captain Bill's Deep Sea Fishing/Whale Watch. Tours with Captain Bill's Deep Sea Fishing/Whale Watch make use of knowledgeable naturalists from the Whale Center of New England. 24 Harbor Loop, Gloucester, MA, 01930. 978/283-6995 or 800/339-4253. www.captbillandsons.com.
Capt. John Boats. Capt. John Boats sends out several daily whale-watch cruises from Plymouth Town Wharf. 10 Town Wharf, Plymouth, MA, 02360. 508/746-2643 or 800/242-2469. www.captjohn.com.
New England Aquarium. The New England Aquarium runs daily whale-watching cruises from Central Wharf. The trip, with an aquarium staff whale expert on board, lasts three to four hours. Tours run from April to October. Central Wharf at end of Central St., Downtown, Boston, MA, 02110. 617/973-5206. www.neaq.org. $40.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com