- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Brush Hill Tours. Brush Hill Tours offers daily motor-coach tours from Boston to Lexington's Battle Green and Concord's Old North Bridge area on weekends in May and June and then daily until November. Seasonal trips to Salem, Marblehead, and Plymouth are also available. 781/986-6100, 617/720-6342, or 800/343-1328. www.brushhilltours.com.
Concord Chamber of Commerce. Concord Chamber of Commerce runs walking tours focusing on Revolutionary War or the area's rich literary history April through October. They last about 1½ hours and depart from the Concord Visitor Center at 1 pm Monday and Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 11 am and 1 pm. 58 Main St., Concord, MA. 978/369-3120. www.concordchamberofcommerce.org. $20.
Essex River Cruises & Charters. Essex River Cruises & Charters organizes narrated cruises of nearby salt marshes and rivers, seasonally from May to October. Call ahead for schedules and reservations. 978/768-6981 or 800/748-3706. www.essexcruises.com.
Lowell National Historical Park. This park tracks the history of a gritty era when the power loom was the symbol of economic progress. It encompasses several blocks in the downtown area, including former-mills-turned-museums, a network of canals, and a helpful visitor center. Begin at the National Park Visitor Center where you can watch a multimedia presentation on the Industrial Age in Lowell. Beloved Beat poet and writer Jack Kerouac was born here; watch a lively film about his life. Several tours, including canal-boat trips and guided walking and trolley tours, depart from here. 978/970-5000. www.nps.gov/lowe.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com