Detroit Travel Guide
Founded in 1701 as "la Ville d'Etroit"—the City at the Straits—Detroit is one of the Midwest's oldest cities. Originally a strategic Native American and French trading post, by the mid-19th century the city was compared to Paris because of its scenic parks and beautiful architecture. The 20th century saw Detroit's evolution into the modern Motor City, the city that put the world on wheels.
In addition to those in downtown Detroit, accommodations are available in suburban Novi, Southfield, and Troy, with their high concentration of corporate...read more
Each wave of immigrants to Detroit has made a culinary mark: You'll find soul food in the inner city, a vibrant Mexican community on the West Side, and...read more
Things To Do in Detroit
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T — $104 American Airlines
In every sense of the word, Henry Ford was a complex man. On one hand, he may have contributed more than any other individual besides his friend... Read more
Detroit casts a long shadow over downtown Windsor, Ontario, its Canadian neighbor to the south (yes, south). Just across the Detroit River, Windsor... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City. ... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Quick trip to K'Zoo...
Two great restaurants to recommend:
Kalamazoo Beer Exchange - In old coffin-manufacturing building in downtown. Three-story bar/restaurant where beer prices change every 15 minutes Read more
The planning started months ago. Read more