Detroit's Classy Cousin
Detroit casts a long shadow over downtown Windsor, Ontario, its Canadian neighbor to the south (yes, south). Just across the Detroit River, Windsor is best known to Michiganians as the home of the Windsor Casino.
There's plenty more here than slot machines and poker faces. One of Canada's larger cities, Windsor is also home to wonderful, intimate restaurants (try The Mini for Vietnamese, Spago for Italian, or La Cuisine for French), European-style shopping, and scenic city parks that provide stunning views of the river and the city across the way.
Add to this the brute strength of the American dollar and Windsor becomes quite a bargain. Access to the city is from the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel at the foot of the Renaissance Center or from the Ambassador Bridge off I-75 near Mexicantown. Be sure to bring proof of citizenship—while it may look familiar, you're still leaving the United States.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $85.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Detroit Hotwire
- Detroit Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $245+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 3.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Detroit Fr $469 Expedia
- $11.95 & up : Economy rentals in Detroit Hotwire
- $52.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Detroit — $52 Hotwire