Detroit Eastern Market
Detroit Eastern Market Review
Farmers and city-slickers alike have gathered in the historic open-air Detroit Eastern Market since 1841 to bargain and barter over fresh produce, meats and cheeses, fish, and plants. Public shopping hours in the sprawling market, which is spread over 43 acres, start Saturday at 6 AM. Stores stay open until 5 PM; open-air markets shut down by 4 PM, though the best stock is long gone by the afternoon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
Quick trip to K'Zoo...
Two great restaurants to recommend:
Kalamazoo Beer Exchange - In old coffin-manufacturing building in downtown. Three-story bar/restaurant where beer prices change every 15 minutes Read more
The planning started months ago. Read more
I would like to take my grandchildren to a nice beach on the lower coast of Michigan. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more