Minneapolis-St. Paul Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
How to Snack
The Twin Cities are not identified by one particular type of food or cuisine, despite the Scandinavian roots and predominantly Lutheran background. However, two specialties that appear frequently on many restaurant menus are walleye (the state fish) and wild rice soup, a favorite among locals.
In summer locals comb the Twin Cities' farmers markets, which offer an embarrassment of riches—fresh, local, and oftentimes organic fruits and vegetables in addition to artisanal cheeses and meats. The Minneapolis Farmers Market is the largest, open daily mid-April through mid-November (312 E. Lyndale Ave., www.mplsfarmersmarket.com). The St. Paul Farmers' Market sells only local produce and goods weekend mornings, April through November (290 E. 5th St., www.stpaulfarmersmarket.com). The Mill City Farmers' Market is the newest of the bunch and the innovation of local celebrity chef Brenda Langton. The market promises only local and organic products every Saturday morning from mid-May through mid-October (Chicago Ave. and 2nd St. S, between Guthrie Theater and Mill City Museum, www.millcityfarmersmarket.org).
Finally if you happen to visit the Minnesota State Fair, you can't get more local than food-on-a-stick. Nearly all of the fair food is designed to be eaten while walking around. Although corn on the cob is classic, there are some more innovative choices. Deep-fried Snickers bar, anyone?
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $84 -- 4-Star Downtown Minneapolis Hotel Hotwire.com
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T — $104 American Airlines