- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
In the evergreen forests and rocky slopes of the Big Snowies and the Judith and Little Belt mountains you can pursue numerous outdoor activities, including fishing, hiking, rock climbing, snowmobiling, and cross-country skiing. The utter isolation of the region enhances the experience, but be sure to get supplied in the larger communities of Lewistown, Great Falls, or Billings before making the trek out to the mountains.
A well-appointed local outfitter, Don's Store carries a wide selection of fishing and hunting gear and outdoor wear, plus optics equipment such as binoculars and spotting scopes. 120 2nd Ave. S, Lewistown, MT, 59457. 406/538-9408 or 800/879-8194.
High Plains Bike & Ski sells many brands of alpine and bicycling equipment and can rush-order cross-country-skiing equipment. Call before you go, because hours vary. 924 W. Water St., Lewistown, MT, 59457. 406/538-2902.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $87.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Billings Hotwire
- Howard Johnson Billings in May: $97 & Up Expedia
- $8.95 & up : Compact rentals in Billings Hotwire
- $98.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Billings — $98 Hotwire
- $9.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Billings — $10 Hotwire