- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Lewistown has access to water—and plenty of it. From natural springs to alpine lakes to crystal-clear creeks fed by melting snow, there are all kinds of ways to get wet in town, or within a few short miles. Big Springs Creek flows right through downtown, and even underneath several establishments on Main Street.
Ackley Lake State Park has two boat ramps, great fishing for rainbow trout, and a 23-site campground. It's to the north of the Little Belt Mountains, about 26 mi southwest of Lewistown. U.S. 87 to Hwy. 400, then 7 mi southwest, Lewistown, UT, 59457. 406/454-5840. www.fwp.mt.gov.
In a clearing roughly 9 mi outside Lewistown you can swim in the Gigantic Warm Springs, a small spring-fed lake that keeps a constant temperature of 68°F. North on U.S. 191, then west on Hwy. 81 for 9 mi, Lewistown, UT, 59457.
One of the most popular places in Frank Day City Park is the Lewistown Municipal Swimming Pool, a 13,000-square-foot water park with two large slides. For a more relaxing experience at the city park, stroll the seven-circuit labyrinth garden planted in annuals and perennials. S. 5th Ave., Lewistown, UT, 59457. 406/535-4503.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Miles City: Book 3 Nts in May at Comfort Inn Fr $129+/Nt Expedia
- $88.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Billings Hotwire
- $8.95 & up : Compact rentals in Billings Hotwire
- Howard Johnson Billings in May: $97 & Up — $97 Expedia
- $9.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Billings — $10 Hotwire