- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Union Hotel
At a Glance
- the hotel has a colorful history
- easy walking around town
- friendly atmosphere
- hard to get a room at the last minute
- no lunch at the Union Grille
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Grand Union Hotel Review
Perhaps the oldest hotel in Montana, the Grand Union was built on the bank of the Missouri in 1882 to serve steamboat and stage travelers. Filled with period pieces, the two-story building is as elegant as ever. With its dark-wood accents and Victorian-style lighting, the Union Grille Restaurant ($$$-$$$$) brings to mind the refinement cultivated by the Western frontier's elite. The seasonal menu features Montana regional cuisine and fare from afar, including local roasted chicken, cocoa-dusted elk loin with espresso-whipped mashed potatoes, and grilled buffalo rib eye. The varied wine list is populated predominantly by choices from California and Washington vineyards, and offers a number of exceptional beer choices from Montana microbreweries.
- Address: 1 Grand Union Sq. Box 1119, Fort Benton, MT, 59442 | Map It
- Phone: 406/622-1882; 888/838-1882
- Website: www.grandunionhotel.com
- Location: Fort Benton
- 26 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Restaurant closed Mon. and Tues. in winter. No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Staybridge Suites Great Falls 3 Nts in May Fr $142+/Nt Expedia
- Extended Stay America - Billings - West End in May: $114 & Up Expedia
- $8.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Great Falls Hotwire
- $96.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Billings — $96 Hotwire
- $7.95 & up : Compact rentals in Great Falls — $8 Hotwire
Much delayed in posting this, but the good news is, I wrote most of the trip report in a word doc shortly after the trip. Read more
Day 7 (July 9) - How excited everyone was to drive across the border into the Canadian Rockies through Kootenay Natl Park to Banff, a relatively short drive for us of 4 1/2 hrs. Read more
My wife and I are planning a trip to briefly explore northern Idaho and part of Montana in mid-July. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more