At a Glance
- spectacular views
- lovely secluded mountain setting
- meals included
- difficult to access
- far from services
- no electricity or running water
Sperry Chalet Review
This elegant backcountry lodge, built in 1913 by the Great Northern Railway, is accessible only by a steep, 6.7-mi trail with a 3,300-foot vertical rise. Either hike in or arrive on horseback. Guest rooms have no electricity, heat, or running water, but who cares when the view includes Glacier's Gunsite Mountain, Mt. Edwards, Lake McDonald, and mountain goats in wildflowers. Informal meals, such as turkey with the trimmings, are simple yet filling and included in the rates. Note that the reservations office is closed in September and October.
- Address: On the west side of Gunsite Mountain. Trail to chalet begins at Lake Macdonald Lodge on the Going-to-the-Sun Rd., Glacier National Park, MT | Map It
- Phone: 406/387-5654; 888/345-2649
- Website: www.sperrychalet.com
- Location: Glacier National Park
- 17 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed mid-Sept.--early July.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $88.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Kalispell Hotwire
- Kalispell Savings! Book at Travelodge Kalispell Fr $88+/Nt Expedia
- $22.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Kalispell Hotwire
- Visit Kalispell for Less: Hotels Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Kalispell — $22 Hotwire
Much delayed in posting this, but the good news is, I wrote most of the trip report in a word doc shortly after the trip. Read more
Day 7 (July 9) - How excited everyone was to drive across the border into the Canadian Rockies through Kootenay Natl Park to Banff, a relatively short drive for us of 4 1/2 hrs. Read more
My wife and I are planning a trip to briefly explore northern Idaho and part of Montana in mid-July. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more