- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Far and away the most popular nonskiing activity in the region is snowmobiling into and around Yellowstone National Park. West Yellowstone, about 50 mi south of Big Sky on U.S. 191, prides itself on being the "Snowmobile Capital of the World." The most popular excursion is the 60-mi round-trip between West Yellowstone and Old Faithful; the park allows in a few hundred commercially guided snowmobiles each day.
Canyon Adventures arranges snowmobiling excursions. 47200 Gallatin Rd., U.S. 191, Big Sky, MT, 59716. 406/994-4450 or 800/520-7533.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Fairfield Inn Helena Fr $130+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Helena: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Compact rentals in Helena Hotwire
- May deal: Super 8 Helena Fr $57+/Nt — $57 Expedia
- $32.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Helena — $33 Hotwire