When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
December through March is the best time to visit for skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, and people who love winter. Summer draws even more visitors. That's not to say that southwest Montana gets crowded, but you may find more peace and quiet in spring and fall, when warm days and cool nights offer pleasant vacationing under the Big Sky.
Temperatures will drop below freezing in winter (and in fall and spring in the mountains) and jump into the 80s and 90s in summer. The weather can change quickly, particularly in the mountains and in the front range area north of Helena, and temperatures have been known to vary by as much as 70°F within a few hours, bringing winds, thunderstorms, and the like.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Butte Hotwire
- May deal: Hampton Inn Butte Fr $125+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- $43.11 & up : Full Size rentals in Butte Hotwire
- $89.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Butte — $89 Hotwire
- $37.11 & up : Compact rentals in Butte — $38 Hotwire