Great Basin National Park Travel Guide
Here, just off the Loneliest Road in America, small mountain ranges parade across farmland on the north, and a huge desert stretches south to central Utah. There are a few rivers, but in this arid land their waters evaporate in the dry air or fade into the soil quickly, adding to the sense of isolation that many visitors seek in this off-the-beaten-path park. Surface water in the Great Basin has no outlet to the sea, so it pools in more than 200 small basins throughout the steep mountain ranges. Along with these alpine lakes, the dramatic mountains shelter lush meadows, limestone caves, and ancient bristlecone pines. Within the park is the southernmost permanent glacier on the continent.
There is no lodging in the park, so unless you're willing and able to snag one of the park's first-come, first-served campsites, or expect to camp in the...read more
Dining in the park itself is limited to the basic lunch fare at the Lehman Caves Cafe and Gift Shop. Nearby Baker has a handful of dining and grocery options...read more
Things To Do in Great Basin National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Ely Savings! Book at Ramada Copper Queen Casino Fr $107+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Ely this May Fr $116+/Nt Expedia
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline ... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe