Lehman Caves Review
In 1885, rancher and miner Absalom Lehman discovered the underground wonder that's now named after him. Although the name suggests that there's more than one cave here, Lehman is a single limestone and marble cavern ¼ mi long. Inside, stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, flowstone, popcorn, and other bizarre mineral formations cover almost every surface. Lehman Caves is one of the best places to see rare shield formations, created when calcite-rich water is forced from tiny cracks in a cave wall, ceiling, or floor. Year-round the cave maintains a constant, damp temperature of 50°F, so wear a light jacket and nonskid shoes when you take the tour. Guided tours conducted by the park service run 60-90 minutes; the full 90-minute tour route is just over ½ mi round-trip. Children under age 5 are not allowed on the 90-minute tours; those under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Tours run four times a day. Next to the cave visitor center, peek into Rhodes Cabin, where black-and-white photographs of the park's earlier days line the walls.
- Address: Lehman Caves Visitor Center, Great Basin National Park, NV, 89311
- Phone: 775/234-7331
- Cost: $4--$10
- Hours: Daily 8--4:30.
- Location: Great Basin National Park
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Ely Savings! Book at Ramada Copper Queen Casino Fr $107+/Nt Expedia
- Ely Savings! Book at La Quinta Inn & Suites Ely Fr $116+/Nt Expedia
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more