- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
South StripView Map
Fun and fantasy collide on the South Strip. Whether it's a man-made beach lagoon, a glass pyramid, a medieval castle, or an Oz-like complex, imagination in these parts most certainly runs wild.
A first-time tour should start at the iconic "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign south of Frank Sinatra Drive. From there, swing through the shark habitat at Mandalay Bay, check out the "Sphinx" in front of Luxor, and the circa-1950 stained-glass skylights inside the renovated Tropicana Las Vegas.
The jousting in the Tournament of Kings at Excalibur is topped only by the gravity-defying loops of the roller coaster at New York-New York. Then, of course, there's the MGM Grand—still the largest hotel in the world. And Monte Carlo, with fountains and marble staircases that evoke the style and panache of the European city by the same name.
Dig deeper and you start to appreciate the details of the South-Strip resorts. The palm-frond fans inside Mandalay Bay. The South-Beach white of the Tropicana. Even New Yorkers say the West Village-inspired food court at New York-New York feels like home. And the giant bronze lion in front of MGM Grand is a throwback to the hotel's affiliation with the movie company, but it's also a veiled reference to the "Wizard of Oz," which inspired the building's green hue.
Non-casino destinations are worth visiting, too; GameWorks attracts serious gamers, while M&M World satisfies sweet tooths of every age. Compared to the rest of the Strip, which is more modern and, at times, stuffy, the South Strip is whimsical and just plain neat. It's also a perfect introduction to the grandeur, luxury, and history quite literally down the road.
South Strip at a Glance
- Luxor Las Vegas
- Mandalay Bay Casino
- MGM Grand Hotel & Casino
- Mob Attraction Las Vegas
- New York-New York Hotel & Casino
- Border Grill
- Burger Bar
- Charlie Palmer Steak
- Fiamma Trattoria
- Gallagher's Steakhouse
Elsewhere in Las Vegas
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $22 & up -- Las Vegas Resort Sale, Up to 30% Off Caesars Entertainment
- $75 & up -- Las Vegas Family-Friendly Resort w/Breakfast Desert Rose Resort
- $55 -- Las Vegas: 'Pawn Stars' VIP Tour, $10 Off Pawn Stars VIP Tour
- $80-$100 -- Vegas Hotel on The Strip w/Cabana Credit — $80-$100 Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- $100 -- Vegas: 'Mystere' by Cirque du Soleil & Dinner — $100 Mystère Cirque du Soleil