- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
KiMo Theatre Review
When the KiMo was built, in 1927, Route 66 was barely established and running on its original alignment: north-south on 4th Street. Downtown was the center of activity, and movie palaces were the national rage. Local merchant Oreste Bachechi saw his moment, and hired architect Carl Boller to design a theater that would reflect the local zeitgeist. And that he did. Decorated with light fixtures made from buffalo skulls (the eye sockets glow amber in the dark), Navajo symbols, and nine spectacular Western-themed wall murals by Carl Von Hassler, the KiMo represents Pueblo Deco at its apex. Luckily, it was saved from the wrecking ball in 1977, and now, fully restored, it stands—one of the few notable early-20th-century structures remaining in Downtown Albuquerque. The self-guided tour is a must (guided tours can also be arranged by appointment), or, even better, catch a live performance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $42.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Albuquerque Hotwire
- $95 & Up: Nativo Lodge Albuquerque 3-Star Hotel in Albuquerque Expedia
- Last Minute Vacation Sale! 2 Nts Albuquerque + Air Fr $387 Travelocity
- $9.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Albuquerque Hotwire
- $63.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Albuquerque — $63 Hotwire
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more