Northeastern New Mexico Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You'll battle neither crowds nor hype in northeastern New Mexico, one of the most underrated sections of the state, and an area well worth exploring. You can have a wildflower-strewn trail through alpine meadows and forests of aspen and ponderosa pine all to yourself, or step back in time in small towns that treasure their pasts. The sheer variety of terrain and climate, and the region's storied role in the history of westward expansion, make this a worthwhile short side trip from Santa Fe or Taos, or a memorable way to enter New Mexico from either Colorado or the Plains states. Just beware the sparse population and relative lack of services and luxury trappings—this is a land of simple, authentic pleasures.
Given the relatively modest numbers of visitors who spend more than a day in this area, lodging options are a bit limited (remember that it's quite easy...read more
Las Vegas is the one town in these parts with an especially notable restaurant scene, ranging from some outstanding old-school New Mexican eateries to a...read more
Things To Do in Northeastern New Mexico
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque / Journal Center in May: $107 & Up Expedia
- Visit Albuquerque for Less: Hotels Fr $73+/Nt Travelocity
- Travel for Less! 4 Nts The Blue + Air Fr $424 Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Compact rentals in Amarillo Hotwire
- La Quinta Inn Albuquerque I-40 East / San Mateo in May: $68 & Up — $68 Expedia
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine. ... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now78° F Scattered Clouds 14% Humidity May 21, 2013 at 5:52PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more