- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Armand Hammer United World College of the American West
Armand Hammer United World College of the American West Review
About 5 mi northwest of Downtown in the village of Montezuma, students from around the world study language and culture at the Armand Hammer United World College of the American West. Looming over the school property is the fantastically ornate, vaguely Queen Anne-inspired Montezuma Castle, a former resort hotel developed by the Santa Fe Railroad and designed by the famous Chicago firm of Burnham and Root. The structure that stands today was the third incarnation of the Montezuma Hotel, which opened in 1886. Student-led tours of the castle are available on certain Saturdays (call ahead). Check in with the guard booth at the campus entrance.
Continue another ½ mi past the campus turnoff on NM 65 to reach signs (on the right) for the hot springs that inspired Montezuma's tourist boom in the 1880s. Soaking in these relaxing, lithium-laced pools is free, as long as you follow basic rules: no nude bathing, no alcohol, and bathing only between 5 am and midnight. If crowds allow, try soaking in all three different pools; temperatures vary significantly but the views of the castle and the creek are lovely from each pool.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Look no Further! Albuquerque Hotels Fr $80+/Nt Travelocity
- Save in Albuquerque: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $90+/Nt Expedia
- Travel for Less! 4 Nts The Blue + Air Fr $424 Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Compact rentals in Amarillo Hotwire
- Look no Further! Albuquerque Hotels Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Travelocity
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine. ... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more