- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
East Side and Canyon Road
Once a trail used by indigenous people to access water and the lush forest in the foothills east of town, then a route for Hispanic woodcutters and their burros, and for most of the 20th century a prosaic residential street with only a gas station and a general store, Canyon Road is now lined with upscale art galleries, shops, and restaurants. The narrow road begins at the eastern curve of Paseo de Peralta and stretches for about 2 mi at a moderate incline toward the base of the mountains. Lower Canyon Road is where you'll find the galleries, shops, and restaurants. Upper Canyon Road (above East Alameda) is narrow and residential, with access to hiking and biking trails along the way, and the Randall Davey Audubon Center at the very top.
Most establishments are in authentic, old adobe homes with thick, undulating walls that appear to have been carved out of the earth. Within those walls is art ranging from cutting-edge contemporary to traditional and even ancient works. Some artists are internationally renowned, like Fernando Botero, others' identities have been lost with time, like the weavers of magnificent Navajo rugs.
There are few places as festive as Canyon Road on Christmas Eve, when thousands of farolitos illuminate walkways, walls, roofs, and even trees. In May the scent of lilacs wafts over the adobe walls, and in August red hollyhocks enhance the surreal color of the blue sky on a dry summer day.
East Side and Canyon Road at a Glance
Elsewhere in Santa Fe
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Santa Fe Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Villas de Santa Fe: $127 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $74/night less
- $29.57 & up : Full Size rentals in Santa Fe Hotwire
- Save in Santa Fe: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $63+/Nt — $63 Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- $26.71 & up : Midsize rentals in Santa Fe — $27 Hotwire