- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- friendly, easygoing owners
- good food
- a great rest
- somewhat irregular hours based on occupancy
- call ahead
Wortley Hotel Review
It's easy to imagine this hotel as it was during the days of the Lincoln County War. Rebuilt after a fire in 1935, the original inn was where Deputy U.S. Marshal Bob Ollinger ate his last meal at noontime on April 28, 1881. After hearing gunfire from the courthouse down the street, he ran outside—only to meet up with one of Billy the Kid's bullets during the outlaw's famous escape. These days, there isn't nearly so much action here, but there's plenty of charm—and you can soak it in while sitting in a rocker on the wooden porch or throwing a game of horseshoes. A major renovation has brought this property back to life, and the antique furnishings in the rooms are a nice touch. Guests are treated to a full breakfast, and can order dinner from the lunch menu—there aren't any dinner restaurants in town. In the Wortley Dining Room (¢), open Wednesday through Sunday, 8 am-3 pm, you'll find delicious basics cooked up with good cheer. Vic, one of the owners and also the chef, cooks everything from amazing breakfasts—basics like eggs and bacon or Mexican classics like huevos rancheros or migas —to lunches of superfresh Cobb salads, enchiladas, grilled chicken, and tasty burgers. He will also prepare any of the lunch-menu items for dinner on request, if you're an overnight guest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Alamogordo this May Fr $68+/Nt Expedia
- $68 & Up: Cheap Alamogordo Stay Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- $31.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Alamogordo Hotwire
- Alamogordo Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Expedia
- $25.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Alamogordo — $26 Hotwire
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more