Southwestern New Mexico Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Southwestern New Mexico
Mineral soak. Immersing yourself in hot mineral water is an absolute delight, and between the healing waters in Truth or Consequences and the natural pools near the Gila Cliff Dwellings you'll have ample opportunity to soak while exploring this region.
Art and architecture walk. Silver City's historical district is the locus for the town's friendly arts community and some big-city-caliber galleries. Don't miss the restored buildings along Bullard Street and the stonework along the Big Ditch.
The Gila Wilderness. If you can spare two to three full days to explore the cliff dwellings and the Catwalk, it will be time well spent. In an otherwise dry region, the lushness of the Gila is amazing.
Old mining towns. Take some time to wander around Hillsboro and Kingston, Pinos Altos, Mogollon, or Chloride. The remaining buildings, from well-preserved and open for business, to crumbling piles of adobe, are reminders that the area was once full of bustling towns.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 3.5-Star Encanto de Las Cruces: $136 & Up in May Expedia
- $50.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Las Cruces Hotwire
- Comfort Inn & Suites Las Cruces in May: $90 & Up — $90 Expedia
- Special deal: 3-Star BEST WESTERN Mission Inn Fr $88+/Nt — $88 Save with Expedia, $8/night less
- May deal: Days Inn Las Cruces Fr $93+/Nt — $93 Expedia