- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chope's Bar & Cafe
Chope's Bar & Cafe Review
Pronounced cho-pez, it looks like a run-of-the-mill adobe building from the outside, but inside the 150-year-old former Benavides homestead you'll find happy locals and many turistas eating well-seasoned Mexican food and drinking ice-cold beer and tasty margaritas. Bikers join the convivial crowd in the bar next door; like the restaurant, it's still owned by the Benavides family. It's worth the 15-mi drive south from Old Mesilla for the local flavor. No credit cards are accepted in the bar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $85 & Up: Ramada 3-Star Hotel in Las Cruces Expedia
- Springhill Suites Las Cruces in May: $115 & Up Expedia
- Super Sale! 17 Nts Encanto de Las Cruces + Air Fr $1,429 Travelocity
- Comfort Inn & Suites Las Cruces in May: $90 & Up — $90 Expedia
- Super Savings on Las Cruces 17 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,024 — $1,024 Travelocity
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more