- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
City of Rocks State Park
City of Rocks State Park Review
One look at the spires here and you'll figure out how the area came by its name. The unusual rock formations were spewed from an ancient volcano and have been eroded over the centuries by wind and rain into the marvelous shapes there today—some more than 40 feet tall. You've got to walk through the city to fully appreciate the place—and it's a great, easy adventure to have with kids (make sure you wear tennis shoes or hiking shoes). The park has a visitor center, and a large developed campground ($10 to $14) with 10 RV sites with water and electric hookups, 42 camping sites, picnic tables, grills, flush toilets, and showers. This is a great spot to camp, with sites nestled amongst the huge rocks. An on-site observatory regularly hosts star parties.
- Address: NM 61; from Silver City, follow U.S. 180 southeast for 26 mi; then NM 61 northeast for 4 mi, Faywood, 88034
- Phone: 575/536-2800
- Cost: Day use $5 per vehicle
- Hours: Visitor center daily 10--4; grounds daily 7 am--9 pm.
- Website: www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/cityrocks.htm
- Location: Silver City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $100.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Las Cruces Hotwire
- May deal: Hampton Inn & Suites Las Cruces I-25 Fr $118+/Nt Expedia
- Super Savings on Las Cruces 17 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,024 Travelocity
- $54.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Las Cruces — $54 Hotwire
- Super Sale! 17 Nts Encanto de Las Cruces + Air Fr $1,429 — $1,429 Travelocity
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more