- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lightning Field Review
The sculptor Walter De Maria created Lightning Field, a work of land art composed of 400 stainless-steel poles of varying heights (the average is 20 feet, although they create a horizontal plane) arranged in a rectangular grid over 1 mi by ½ mi of flat, isolated terrain, and installed in 1977. Groups of up to six people are permitted to stay overnight from May through October—the only way you can experience the artwork—at a rustic on-site 1930s cabin. Fees include dinner and breakfast, and range from $150 (May to June, September to October) to $250 (July to August) per person; children and students pay $100. Dia Art Foundation administers Lightning Field, shuttling visitors from Quemado to the sculpture, which is on private land 45 minutes to the northeast. Thunder-and-lightning storms are most common from July to mid-September; book way ahead for visits during this time. If you're lucky, you'll see flashes you'll never forget (though lightning isn't required for the sculpture to be stunning in effect).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Las Cruces: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $78+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Comfort Suites Fr $100+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Silver City Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Expedia
- $109 & Up: Cheap Silver City Stay — $109 Save with Hotels.com, $35/night less
- Book the Rodeway Inn Silver City 3 Nts in May Fr $85+/Nt — $85 Expedia
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more