- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This small city off Route 5 and the thruway was settled in 1834. It's home to the Mansion House estate, where the former Oneida Community, a utopian religious sect, lived in the mid-19th century. The group produced assorted goods, including silverware, and in the 1880s, abandoning its communal way of life, it morphed into Oneida Community Ltd. This joint-stock company eventually became Oneida Ltd.
The enticements of the small town are dwarfed by the sprawling Turning Stone Resort & Casino, 4 mi away in Verona. The casino, run by the Oneida Nation, offers round-the-clock gambling, three hotels, a full-service salon and spa and several restaurants.
There are other amusements nearby, however. A few miles north, on the eastern end of Oneida Lake, Sylvan Beach offers warm-weather amusements.
Oneida at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Albany and Central New York
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines