Long Island Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Long Island
Beaches. Whether you prefer the white sand of Fire Island, the more expansive beaches of Southampton, or the surf culture of Montauk, Long Island has beaches to accommodate every sun-and-surf worshipper.
Hampton hobnobbing. Browse the stylish boutiques and enjoy dining alfresco at trendy Hamptons restaurants. In peak season, Memorial Day to Labor Day, the town plays host to vacationing New Yorkers, international travelers, and the occasional celebrity.
Historic homes. History buffs and architecture enthusiasts can take guided tours of Teddy Roosevelt's summer home at Sagamore Hill and Walt Whitman's birthplace at Huntington Station. Drive by the Gold Coast mansions—or even stay in one (the Glen Cove Mansion is now a hotel).
Seaside villages. Don your fisherman's gear and a good appetite for fresh seafood in seaside Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, and Greenport.
Wineries. The North Fork is a wine lover's year-round paradise. Many wineries offer tours and tastings so you can see the wine-making process firsthand.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton — $109 Hotwire