- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Jones Beach State Park. Eleven miles east of Long Beach, the 6½ mi of white sand is one of the best known and most popular of Long Island's beaches. The 2,500-acre park is loaded with facilities, including two pools, bathhouses, piers, two surf-casting areas (by permit), picnic areas, concession stands, a restaurant, and four basketball courts. A 1½-mi-long boardwalk has deck games and hosts special events. Lifeguards are on duty from late May to mid-September. The park can be reached from the Wantagh and Meadowbrook parkways (head south). Ocean Pkwy., Wantagh, NY, 11793. 516/785-1600. nysparks.state.ny.us. Parking $8 June-Aug.
The Tommy Hilfiger at Jones Beach Theater, a 14,000-seat amphitheater in Jones Beach State Park, presents such big-name musicians as Alanis Morissette, David Bowie, and Tom Petty, as well as other performers. The concert season usually runs June through August. 516/221-1000. www.jonesbeach.com.
Ocean Beach Park. Sun seekers throng this beach park, which stretches for 5 mi on the barrier island's south side, to play volleyball, surf, swim, and sunbathe—all under the watchful eyes of lifeguards (on duty weekends late May to mid-June, daily mid-June to early September). The park's indoor pool is open to the public all year. Magnolia St. between Nevada Ave. and Maple Blvd., Long Beach, NY, 11770. 516/431-1810, 516/431-1021, or 516/431-5533. Beach $6 (late May-early Sept.), pool $5. Pool daily 9-6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton — $95 Hotwire