- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The waters around Shelter Island are perfect for kayaking. If you set out on a kayak you have the option of exploring on your own or taking a guided tour. The Mashomack Nature Preserve, rich with birdlife and other animals, is a favorite kayaking destination. A solo kayak from Shelter Island Kayak Tours rents for about $30 for two hours for single kayaks and $50 for double kayaks; tours are $60. Rte. 114 at Duval Rd., Shelter Island, NY, 11964. 631/749-1990. www.kayaksi.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton — $95 Hotwire