- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The North Ferry and the South Ferry service Shelter Island from Long Island's North and South forks. The North Ferry, which leaves from Greenport, is the best way to get to the Chequit Inn and other places in Shelter Island Heights from the North Fork. The fare is $9 one way for a car and driver, and a same-day round-trip is $13. The South Ferry leaves from Sag Harbor; the fare (cash only) is $7 one way for a car and driver, and a same-day round-trip is $8. On both ferries, pedestrians and additional car passengers pay $2 each way. North and South ferry lines are prone to backups on summer weekends, in both directions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton — $109 Hotwire