- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Long Island Rail Road trains depart from New York City's Penn Station, and can take you close to any popular Long Island destination. Tickets are $15-$42 round-trip and travel can take 30 minutes to three hours depending where you're going. Passengers may have to change trains at Jamaica Center in Queens. Local taxi companies can be found at train stations and Hampton Jitney stops.
Memorial Day through Labor Day, the LIRR offers One-Day-Getaway packages to more than 25 popular Long Island destinations, with discounts and coupons. One-day packages include round-trip fare to Jones Beach ($15), Long Beach ($18), and towns in Fire Island ($24-$28), and shuttle bus, ferry ride, and beach admission.
Bicycles are allowed with a permit ($5; applications are available on the LIRR Web site). On weekdays trains are congested during the 7-9:30 morning rush and the 4-6:30 evening peak. In summer the LIRR offers Hamptons Reserve service (aka "the Cannonball"), express trains with reserved seats, air-conditioning, and bar and snack service. The LIRR also offers different themed bus tours during the summer months, including Wine Country tours and a shopping excursion at Freeport's Nautical Mile.
Long Island Rail Road 516/822-5477 or 631/231-5477. www.lirr.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton — $95 Hotwire