- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Check Rates from our Partners
Ace Hotel Review
Stepping into Ace Hotel is something of a revelation: you'll immediately be hit with the thought that this is not an ordinary boutique hotel. The lively lobby melds Ivy League library with curiosity cabinet—taxidermy, mosaic tile floors, wooden bookcases, antique sofas, and light fixtures made with pieces of glass from the Hubble Telescope—while the staff wear custom Levi's, Converse sneakers, and collar shirts. The vibe is unstuffy and down-to-earth, making it a popular hangout for creatives and people who work from wherever they lay their laptop. The rooms run from "cheap" and "bunk" (yes, they really have bunk beds) to "super-deluxe" and "loft," indicative of an inclusive ethos—the Ace is always both high and low. No two rooms are alike, with original artwork by local and international artists adorning the walls, and carefully curated found furnishings like turntables, Gibson guitars, and exclusive Pendleton wool blankets. With two in-house restaurants run by celebrated chef April Bloomfield—the Breslin gastropub and the shellfish-focused John Dory Oyster Bar—along with the crowd-pleasing No. 7 Sub shop, and an outpost of the Portland-based Stumptown Coffee Roasters in the lobby, you won't have to travel far for trendy dining or celeb-spotting.
Ace is the Place
Are there any other hotel lobbies that require a bouncer for entry on Friday and Saturday nights? Not in New York City, anyway. The Ace had its genesis as a utilitarian brand in the Pacific Northwest offering inexpensive boutique stays with offbeat outfittings like sinks and flags salvaged from flea markets throughout the countryside. But here in New York, it has evolved into a creative collaboration featuring of-the-moment food from chef April Bloomfield at the Breslin and John Dory restaurants, and cult brands like clothier Opening Ceremony and Stumptown Coffee. The hotel has become the nightlife nexus in a newly hip neighborhood, the Garment District (recently rebranded as NoMad, i.e. North of Madison Square Park). Even by day the lobby is a mobile office for New York's startup set, so bring a hoodie and a cocktail dress for your stay.
- Address: 20 W. 29th St., at Broadway, Flatiron District, New York, NY, 10001 | Map It
- Phone: 212/679-2222
- Website: www.acehotel.com
- Subway: N, R to 28th St.; 1 to 28th St.
- Location: Flatiron District
- 266 rooms, 8 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
I'm flying into JFK on May 24 to spend Memorial Day weekend playing tourist with my sister. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more