- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Bridge Review
"A drive-through cathedral" is how the journalist James Wolcott described the Brooklyn Bridge, one of New York's noblest and most recognized landmarks, perhaps outdoing Walt Whitman's comment that it was "The best, most effective medicine my soul has yet partaken." The bridge stretches over the East River, connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. A walk across its promenade—a boardwalk elevated above the roadway, shared by pedestrians, in-line skaters, and cyclists—takes about 40 minutes and delivers exhilarating views. If you start from downtown Manhattan, you'll end up in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. It's worth noting that on weekends when the weather is nice, the path can get pretty congested; it's most magical, and quietest, early in the morning or during sunset when the city lights come to life.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $191-$239 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
Someone please remind me how, if I start on the JFK airtrain to Jamaica Station, I think I took the E subway from there to connect somehow to a 1,2,3 uptown to 98th and Broadway...thanks Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more