- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Brooklyn Botanic Garden Review
The 52 acres of this beloved Brooklyn retreat, one of the finest botanic gardens in the country, are a must-see, especially in spring and summer. A major attraction is the beguiling Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden—complete with a pond, blazing red torii gate, and Shinto shrine. Nearby, the Japanese cherry arbor turns into a breathtaking cloud of pink every spring; the Sakura Matsuri, a two-day cherry blossom festival, is a hugely popular event.
Also be sure to wander through the Cranford Rose Garden (5,000 plants, 1,200 varieties); the Fragrance Garden, designed especially for the blind; and the Shakespeare Garden, featuring more than 80 plants immortalized by the Bard. At the Steinhardt Conservatory, desert, tropical, temperate, and aquatic vegetation thrives. Don't miss the extraordinary C. V. Starr Bonsai Museum for close to 100 miniature Japanese specimens, some more than a century old. Near the conservatory are a café and a gift shop, with bulbs, plants, and gardening books as well as jewelry.
Entrances to the garden are on Eastern Parkway, next to the subway station; on Washington Avenue, behind the Brooklyn Museum; and on Flatbush Avenue at Empire Boulevard. Free garden tours meet at the front gate every weekend at 1 pm.
- Address: 900 Washington Ave., between Crown and Carroll Sts., Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, NY, 11225 | Map It
- Phone: 718/623-7200
- Cost: $10; free all day Tues., Sat. before noon, and weekdays from mid-Nov. to mid-Mar. Combo ticket with Brooklyn Museum $20
- Hours: Mid-Mar.--late Oct.: grounds Tues.--Fri. 8--6, weekends 10--6; conservatory daily 10--5:30. Nov.--mid-Mar.: grounds Tues.--Fri. 8--4:30, weekends 10--4:30; conservatory daily 10--4. Closed Mon. except holidays
- Website: www.bbg.org
- Subway: 2, 3 to Eastern Pkwy.; B, Q to Prospect Park.
- Location: Park Slope and Prospect Heights
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
Thanks in advance to all the people here who helped in the planning of this - both last year and this year! Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more