- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Review
America's oldest performing arts center, BAM presented its first show in 1861. Today it has a much-deserved reputation for the unusual and the unexpected, presented in grand-scale stagings. Contemporary dance, music, opera, and cross-media productions mingle here with an array of classics. BAM has three primary performance spaces: the 2,090-seat Howard Gilman Opera House, a restored Renaissance Revival palace built in 1908; the 865-seat Harvey Theater, an updated 1904 theater a block away at 651 Fulton Street; and the newest addition, the BAM Fisher at at 321 Ashland Place, which includes the 250-seat maximum Fishman Space and the Hillman Studio. Every fall the Next Wave Festival fills the house with crackling energy and events that highlight a global mix of remarkable artists. The holidays bring a run of American Ballet Theatre's Nutcracker, and with springtime comes a top-notch roster of international theater companies (such as England's renowned Royal Shakespeare Company) in repertory. Year-round you can catch a movie at the four-screen BAM Rose Cinemas, which offers BAMcinématek, an eclectic repertory series (A Pryor Engagement to Rendez-Vous with French Cinema), as well as first-run indies, documentaries, and foreign-language films. Or, hit the industrial-glam BAMcafé (718/623-7811 reservations) for the Eat, Drink & Be Literary series on select Wednesday nights, and free music on Friday and Saturday nights. BAM gets kudos for its down-to-earth range of ticket prices; $20 to $60 is typical.
- Address: Peter Jay Sharp Bldg., 30 Lafayette Ave., between Ashland Pl. and St. Felix St., Fort Greene, New York, NY, 11217 | Map It
- Phone: 718/636-4100
- Website: www.bam.org
- Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, R to Atlantic Ave.-Barclays Ctr.; G to Fulton St.; C to Lafayette Ave. (2, 3, 4, 5 to Nevins St for Harvey Theater).
- Location: Downtown Brooklyn
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We had a lot of discussion of Air BnB at times in these forums, particularly as it relates to New York City, where sublets of less than 30 days are illegal. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw. ... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more