- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Strand Review
Opened in 1927, and still run by the same family, this monstrous book emporium—home to 2 million volumes and "18 Miles of Books"—is a symbol of a bygone era, a mecca for serious bibliophiles, and a local institution. The store has survived the Great Depression, World War II, competition from Barnes & Noble, and the tremendous shift in how readers are consuming literature. The stock includes both new and secondhand books, plus thousands of collector's items. A separate rare-book room is on the third floor and closes at 6:20 daily. The basement has discounted, barely touched reviewers' copies of new books, organized by author. If you're looking for souvenirs, visit the New York section of the bookstore; you'll find New York-centric literature, poetry, history, photography, and cookbooks, as well as T-shirts, gadgets, and totes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
so i'm going to NYC in june and i'm coming in through penn station and going to be going to 373 fifth avenue around 3 pm and i was wondering how hard it would be to get a cab to the hotel from penn station. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason. ... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more