Shopping in New York City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
New York City Shopping
The Big Apple is one of the best shopping destinations in the world, rivaled perhaps only by London, Paris, and Tokyo. Its compact size, convenient subway system, and plentiful cabs (unless it's raining) make it easy to navigate with plenty of bags in tow. But what it really comes down to is the staggering number and variety of stores. If you can't find it in New York, it probably doesn't exist.
If you like elegant flagships and money is no object, head to Midtown, where you'll find international megabrands like Louis Vuitton, Yves Saint Laurent, and Gucci, as well as famed department stores Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys. Nearby Madison Avenue offers couture from Carolina Herrera and Vera Wang, and 5th Avenue is lined with famous jewelry stores like Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, and Harry Winston. This is also the neighborhood to indulge in bespoke goods, such as ordering handmade shoes from John Lobb or designing a custom yacht at OC Concept Store. If you like designer pieces but can't afford them, don't despair—there are plenty of upscale consignment shops dotted around the city where you can find last season's Chanel suit or a vintage YSL jacket.
The small, independent shops that once lined SoHo have largely been swallowed up by J. Crew and Uniqlo, but if you want to hit the chains, this is a great place to do it, since SoHo also provides high-quality people-watching and superb lunches. If you're craving some of SoHo's artistic spirit, don't discount the street vendors' stalls, which sell handmade jewelry and simple cotton dresses. You never know—you might buy something from a soon-to-be-famous designer.
The East Village and Lower East Side are hotbeds of creativity and quirky coolness, with little boutiques selling everything from retro furniture to industrial-inspired jewelry tucked among bars and tenement apartments. The Meatpacking District is another great shopping destination, where you'll find chic stores like Diane Von Furstenberg and Catherine Malandrino.
Browse New York City Shopping
- Antiques / Collectibles
- Art Galleries
- Books / Stationery
- Cameras & Electronics
- Department Stores
- Food / Candy
- Gifts / Souvenirs
- Household Items / Furniture
- Jewelry / Accessories
- Music Stores
- Outlets / Discount Stores
Browse New York City Shopping By Location
- Downtown Brooklyn
- East Village
- Financial District
- Flatiron District
- Greenwich Village
- Lower East Side
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'