- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Anchored by the tenacious city of Buffalo and the inescapable Niagara Falls, western New York is wedged between Lake Erie to the west, Lake Ontario to the north, Rochester and the Finger Lakes to the east, and the Pennsylvania border to the south. In the northwest corner is the Niagara River, which connects lakes Erie and Ontario and is shared by the United States and Canada.
From Interstate 90 (New York State Thruway), the main entryway to the region, expressway spur Interstate 190 at Buffalo leads across Grand Island to the Robert Moses Parkway into Niagara Falls. The parkway continues north to Lewiston and then Youngstown, where the Niagara River empties into Lake Ontario. The scenic Great Lakes Seaway Trail traces the region's perimeter in the north and west, along lakes Ontario and Erie.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Jamestown Hotwire
- Book 3-Star Ramada Jamestown Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Buffalo on Sale! 4 Nts + Air as Low as $765 Travelocity
- $28.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Buffalo Hotwire
- Hampton Inn and Suites Jamestown, NY in May: $146 & Up — $146 Save with Expedia, $22/night less