- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canoeing and Kayaking
The Class II-III Esopus Creek, which parallels Route 28 in and around Phoenicia, is a popular spot for canoeing and kayaking. Regulated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, releases from the nearby Schoharie Reservoir help maintain optimal conditions for recreational use of the creek waters—and create some awesome rapids. Contact the DEC for water-release schedules and additional information. 845/256-3161 Esopus water-release information. www.dec.ny.gov.
If you're looking for a something tamer, try the Delaware River; public-access spots are scattered between Long Eddy and Port Jervis.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue