- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fly-fishing is said to have gotten its start in the Catskills—more specifically, at Roscoe's Junction Pool, where the Willowemoc River runs into the Beaverkill. Serious anglers make it a point, at least once in their lives, to fish the fabled waters around Roscoe, which is often called Trout Town, U.S.A. The state stocks brown trout to supplement the wild trout you can catch here. The Delaware River, another option, is less heavily fished. Esopus Creek, which runs along part of Route 28 in and around Phoenicia, is one of the most productive wild-trout streams in the Northeast. Although the number of fish—mostly wild rainbow and brown trout, but also brook trout—in the Esopus is impressive, most fish are less than 12 inches in length.
For fishing regulations, license fees, seasons, and other specific information, contact the regional headquarters of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation before heading off to the water. 866/933-2257 fishing licenses; 845/256-3000 general information. www.dec.ny.gov.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue