The Catskills Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Catskills
Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. Both a cultural hub and a museum, the center explores the cultural transformation of the 1960s at the site of the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair.
Breathtaking views. Drive the highways and byways of the Catskills during any season where winding roads cross picturesque streams and rise up and down through the hills and valleys of an undulating terrain. Be surprised by roosting eagles, soaring vultures, and roadside wildlife going about their business naturally.
Fish on. When they talk fish in the Catskills, the name is trout. The Roscoe Junction Pool, where the Willowemoc River runs into the Beaverkill Creek, is where the serious fly-fishers go.
Go for a float. Bring your floatation device, boat, tube, kayak, whatever—and don't forget your fishing pole, and head to the Upper Delaware River, which borders New York and Pennsylvania.
Thomas Cole National Historic Site. Along with the Hudson River Art trail, this restored home allows visitors to see the views that inspired America's first great landscape painters. Walk in the footsteps of Cole, Frederic Church, Asher B. Durand, Jasper Cropsey, Sanford Gifford, and other pioneering American artists.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $191-$239 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $219-$249 -- Brooklyn Hotel near Barclays Center — $219-$249 Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn