- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cornell University Review
With its historic buildings, weave of natural and man-made spaces, Cayuga Lake views, and two spectacular gorges, the campus of this private university is considered one of the most beautiful in the country. Founded in 1865, Cornell is a mixture of modern structures and ivy-covered 19th-century buildings. Wear your walking shoes; there is almost no public parking near the campus center. Free 75-minute tours of the campus leave daily from Day Hall, at Tower Road and East Avenue.
Four miles of trails lead through the 220-acre Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary, part of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Bird artist Louis Agassiz Fuertes named the woods after two yellow-bellied sapsuckers he had spotted in the area. A computer touch screen leads you through interpretive displays. The visitor center is open weekdays 8-5 (until 4 on Friday), Saturday 9:30-4, and Sunday 11-4. 159 Sapsucker Woods Rd., 14850. 607/254-2473 or 800/843-2473. www.birds.cornell.edu.
Cornell University's I.M. Pei-designed Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art houses more than 30,000 works of art: American and European impressionist paintings, some contemporary pieces, and an extensive collection of Asian art and artifacts. But the most stunning sight here may well be the unforgettable views of Cayuga Lake. The museum is open 10-5 Tuesday through Sunday; entry is free. University Ave., 14853. 607/255-6464. www.museum.cornell.edu.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Syracuse Fr $75+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- Syracuse Savings! Book at Ramada Inn Syracuse Fr $131+/Nt Expedia
- Last Minute Vacation Sale! 7 Nts Rochester + Air Fr $746 Travelocity
- $42.86 & up : Midsize rentals in Ithaca Hotwire
- $159 & Up: Cheap Syracuse Stay — $159 Save with Hotels.com, $60/night less
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
I'm flying into JFK on May 24 to spend Memorial Day weekend playing tourist with my sister. Read more