- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mount Hope Cemetery
Mount Hope Cemetery Review
Formed by a glacier that left undulating terrain upon its retreat, the 196 rolling acres of this cemetery are as much a park as they are the final resting place for more than 370,000 people. Among the more famous laid to rest here are suffragist Susan B. Anthony and anti-slavery leader Frederick Douglass. The cemetery, dedicated in 1838, is one of the nation's oldest. Many headstones retain Victorian symbols such as the anchor, crown, obelisk, or sheaf of wheat. The city owns the cemetery, but a caretakers group called the Friends of Mount Hope Cemetery offers tours.
- Address: 1133 Mt. Hope Ave., Rochester, NY, 14620 | Map It
- Phone: 585/428-7999 cemetery; 585/428-7970 tours
- Cost: Free; Thurs. twilight tours $4
- Hours: Daily dawn--dusk. Tour May--Oct., Sat. at 1, Sun. at 2 and 2:30; mid-May--early Aug. Thurs. twilight tours at 7pm.
- Website: www.fomh.org
- Location: Rochester
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Syracuse Savings! Book at Howard Johnson East Syracuse Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- Explore Syracuse For Less! Book Fr $75+/Nt Hotels.com
- Save on Your Vacation: 4 Nts Crowne Plaza + Air Fr $940 Travelocity
- $38.57 & up : Compact rentals in Ithaca Hotwire
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Days Inn University Fr $71+/Nt — $71 Expedia
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We are coming to New York in August with 2 kids 15 and 12 flying into Newark int.
I was wondering where should we stay - near newark or in nyc near the sites. we want to do the usual i think, stateu Read more