Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
If you want to truly explore the Hudson Valley, you'll need a car. Public transportation is available, but a car is the best way to explore the region's scenic back roads and byways. The Palisades Interstate Parkway is your best choice for a major north-south road on the west side of the Hudson River. The Taconic State Parkway, a main route on the east side of the river, is particularly scenic, with good views of the Catskills to the west. Both are easily accessible from Manhattan.
For those arriving by air, the Hudson Valley is served by Stewart International Airport and Westchester County Airport. Albany International Airport, at the north end of the Hudson Valley, is a good option for visits to Ulster, Columbia, and Dutchess counties. Of New York City's three major airports (JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark), LaGuardia is the closest to the Hudson Valley, though all three are reasonably accessible.
The Metro-North Railroad and Amtrak can take you to many of the towns on either side of the river. If you want to do more than walk around the downtown area near the train station, you may want to rent a car once there. Enterprise is a good company to go with in this situation, since staff there will pick you up (not applicable to all stations).
Amtrak. 800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.
Metro-North Railroad. 212/532-4900 or 800/638-7646. www.mta.info/mnr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue