- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Two historical areas—Old Salem and Bethabara—are welcome reminders of the hardworking Moravians who settled the area in the mid-18th century. With its Williamsburg-like period reconstruction (and tasty, tasty cookies), Old Salem in particular shouldn't be missed even if you have only an afternoon to spend in the Twin Cities.
Modern-day Winston-Salem has a surprisingly pleasant and low-key demeanor, despite its high concentration of businessespeople and its size (it's the second-biggest city in the Triad). For a treat, check out the Downtown Arts District, centered around the intersection of 6th and Trade streets. Once known for its bustling tobacco market, the area has now become a sea of happening galleries.
With two world-class art museums, a symphony orchestra, a film festival, the internationally respected North Carolina School of the Arts, and the biannual National Black Theatre Festival, there's plenty for visitors to do within the city limits.
Winston-Salem at a Glance
- Bob Timberlake Gallery
- Historic Bethabara Park
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts
- Old Salem Museum & Gardens
Elsewhere in Central North Carolina
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Posh Uptown Hotel, $200 Off The Westin Charlotte