The North Carolina Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The North Carolina Coast
Water, water everywhere: Surfers delight in Cape Hatteras's formidable waves. Kayakers and boaters prefer the Crystal Coast's sleepy estuaries. Beach strollers love Ocracoke's remote, unspoiled shore.
Pirate lore and hidden booty: The Graveyard of the Atlantic is littered with shipwrecks to dive. See artifacts from Blackbeard's flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge at Beaufort's North Carolina Maritime Museum.
Lighting the darkness: North Carolina's seven lighthouses each has their individual personality.
The Lost Colony: In a mystery for the ages, 117 settlers disappeared without a trace. Their story is presented both in historical context and dramatic entertainment in Manteo.
Fresh seafood: You can get fresh seafood of every variety fixed in practically every method—fried, grilled, stuffed, blackened, or raw.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- New Bern Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Expedia
- $91.00 & up : 3-star hotels in New Bern Hotwire
- $19.95 & up : Compact rentals in New Bern Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in New Bern this May Fr $157+/Nt — $157 Expedia
- $21.95 & up : Full Size rentals in New Bern — $22 Hotwire